Do you feel disappointed every time you look at your website? It’s high time someone tweaked it. What you may not know is that even the words you use on your site are essential. So, the question is:
Are you seducing your prospects with words that will consummate the sale or boring them to death?
These days, business differentiation and brand appeal have been reduced to speed dating – orchestrated by a Google search.
Try typing the name of your service or product on Google. What do you get?
- Limited words that show how your business is better than the competition.
- A page full of links, where just the first 5 websites stand an 80% chance of winning the business.
- A speed date with all the other contenders, and a small opportunity to get your message across to prospects.
The words that appear on search engine results pages determine whether a user will connect with your brand and click through to your website.
Believe it or not, you only have 7 seconds to make an impression. Within that time, a user will have made up their mind to delve deeper into your website or move onto the next one in the search results.
In almost every scenario, a couple of businesses dominate the market. Their websites are so effective at winning the hearts and minds of prospects, it’s a wonder the others are still in business at all!
While search results vary significantly, one thing is for sure: they are always fascinating. As a business owner, there is a lot you must do to improve your reach. Unfortunately, most business owners are just interested in:
- Improving search engine rankings
- Increasing click-through rate
- Reducing cost per click
Website conversion rates vary tremendously based on the following factors:
- Circumstances of visitor (the prospect)
- Specific offer or attractiveness of the appeal
- Price sensitivity
- Position of the prospect in their buying cycle
- Proximity of your business to the prospect
- Guarantees (if any)
- Social proof and testimonials
Takeaway Message: Making Your Website More Appealing To Visitors
While generating more traffic to your website is important, it’s more important to have a site that makes visitors stay. Some things you can do to make your website more appealing include:
- Focus on market segments with specific offers that win prospects over.
- Have values and use language that appeals to them.
- Deliver emotional customer engagement for better conversion.
While this is easier said than done, we have come a long way in 20 years.
This year marks the 20th Anniversary of the internet. If you’re interested in seeing the internet’s very first webpage, visit http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html.
The art of presenting business on a dynamic page is now 20 years old. But, we’re stuck in a search paradigm based on keyword count, social signals and other easily manipulated metrics.
Who knows? Perhaps in the next 20 years Google will learn how to rank businesses based on the value they deliver in the marketplace, rather than the SEO trickery most webmasters (including us) get up to these days.
Want a fresh perspective on your website? Call us for a Free Marketing Appraisal Session.